Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Uh... DUH!!!!

A few weeks ago I was doing something in the kitchen and the little light on the stove indicated that the burner I needed to use was hot. Now sometimes this thing lies just a bit, and that's what I was expecting that time, as I saw nobody using it before. So I put my hand over it just a weensey too close. And the light wasn't lying. Yow. Since then, whenever I see the "hot surface" light, I all but run to the other end of the room.
All that to say, after I did something stupid I learned from it (yes, yes, thank you, thank you, no autographs please:P). But I read in Exodus today... Pharaoh is finally letting Israel go!
They happily trudged along, little dreaming the Egyptians were NOT GETTING their carefully brewed 5 o'clock tea. They squealed and said, "Hey! We just let them go! Now we've got nobody to slave making bricks - and no one to make our tea!!!!" I imagine that if Pharaoh had a phone, it would have been ringing quite a bit. Now they should have not thought this way at all, since they just had to go through all those plagues on account of the Israelites, and now they want them back (did something stupid and DIDN'T learn from it). But, Pharaoh took his army and chased Israel. The chased one screeched! OH NO!!!! THE SEA IS IN THE WAY OF THE ESCAPE ROUTE!!!!!! They wailed that Moses had brought them out there to die - AFTER God had caused zillions of plagues on the bad guys to get them out of there! But we all know this part - God parted the water (yes, the WHOLE SEA) and the Israelites got across, while the Egyptians couldn't get out fast enough. Huzzah!!! After I got over the initial shock and awe, I would have figured that my God was the most powerful in the world and could give me anything I needed. But guess what? A few days later, the Israelites ran across a spring of bitter water. THEN they grumbled that God had brought them out here to die. Gee whiz! Is this the same lot that walked across the ocean floor? Why didn't they think God could give them water? It's just... DUH!!!!
But in my initial heat over these boneheads, I thought, "do I sometimes do the same thing?" Do I worry about things after God has given me everything I need? Most certainly! I was reminded to trust God in everything reading about the boneheads, and to - well, count my blessings! Happy Thanksgiving!:D

No comments: