Sunday, November 2, 2008

Outward Appearance

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."


This is what God said to Samuel when he was checking the sons of Jesse out for the new kingship job. I also read a lot of exciting stuff with David and Goliath, Saul throwing spears, Jonathan, etc. But this verse stuck in my head the whole time. I was thinking, "Well, yeah, I don't just look at people's appearance." But then I thought of our debate class. There is a mom that sits in... and all us Taggs are a little afraid of her. She sits there, her face is always glaring and scary, and she never talks to anybody. She never laughs at some joke the teacher cracks or anything funny that happens, and she has a strange habit of sitting in front of smaller kids so they can't see. Soooo... if she walks by any of us, we get a little jittery and intimidated and don't look that way. But when I read that verse I thought, "maybe she's not really scary or grumpy, maybe that's just her natural expression." It's a different situation than Samuel was in, but it's still just focusing on the outward appearance. Hence, I resolved next gym day to smile and say hi to that mom. I'll let you know how it goes:)

No comments: