Thursday, December 4, 2008

To the promised land or bust!

The Israelites are thinking bust. There was no water to drink (in the desert:Z) and they started whining again. They went to Moses and said, "Give us water to drink! Is the LORD among us or not?" Strange question, seeing as he just parted the ocean for them. Moses said, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put God to the test?" But they whined all the more. Moses sighed and went to talk to God. "What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me!"


The LORD answered, "Take in your hand the rock with which you struck the Nile, and go. I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink." Moses did so, and the people drank it.


I was kinda wondering why God waited until they grumbled to give them water, but then I thought... he didn't! It sounds more like he waited until they were uncomfortable to see if they would trust him - and they didn't. God still does that - puts us in uncomfortable positions to see if we fall apart, or if we trust him to see us through.

No comments: