Friday, August 15, 2008

2 Kings 5

We've all read about Naaman in our children's Bibles. But it is so much cooler to read the real thing!
Naaman wasn't even an Israelite - he was commander of the Aramean army. But tragedy struck him - he got leprosy. But an Israelite girl was his wife's servant, and she said, "If only my master would see the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy." Quick side note: I think it's neat that this girl is keeping her same faith in a foreign land. She doesn't get enough credit in the story! Anyway, Naaman went to the king of Aram and told him what the girl had said.
"By all means, go," the king said. "I will send a letter to the king of Israel." So Naaman went, taking ten talents of silver, six thousand shekels of gold and ten sets of clothing. THAT'S the part I want you to remember he has right now. But it's amusing what the letter to the king of Israel read: "With this letter I am sending my servant Naaman to you so that you may cure him of his leprosy." Whoa. Talk about confused sources! The king tore his robes and said, "Am I God? Can I kill and bring back to life? Why does this fellow send someone to me to be cured of his leprosy? See how he is trying to pick a quarrel with me!" I can see how that's valid!:P
But Elisha heard that the king had torn his robes and said to him, "Have the man come to me and he will know that there is a prophet in Israel." So Naaman went to Elisha and Elisha SENT A SERVANT to say, "Go wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored."
But Naaman was mad. He wanted it done right then! He wanted a hand wave and it be done! Not some weird directions for cleansing that probably wouldn't work anyway! He wouldn't do it. But his servants said, "If the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more then, when he tells you, 'Wash and be cleansed'!"
"Touche." said Naaman. He dove into the Jordan seven times and - shock and wonder! - he was healed! Naaman went back to the man of God and said, "Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel. Please accept a gift from your servant." Remember all those riches he had brought? But Elisha didn't accept a thing.
Here's some straight text:
"If you will not," said Naaman, "please let me, your servant, be given as much earth as a pair of mules can carry, for you servant will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the LORD."
Hold it - why dirt? Why did he ask for dirt? My guess is this: He said earlier, "Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel". IN Israel. This guy is used to having gods that you can see and bow down to IN his own land. So he figured these people must have their God only in their land, and he wanted to take God with him. He's a trifle confused, but no doubt his intentions are splendid.
Then he said, "But may the LORD forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I bow there also - when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the LORD forgive your servant for this."
"Go in peace." Elisha said. Wow.
BUT after Naaman had gone, Elisha's servant Gehazi thought, "My master was too easy on Naaman, this Aramean, by not accepting from him what he brought. I will run after him and get something from him." Uh-oh. And guess what he said to Naaman when he caught up? "My master sent me to say, 'Two young men from the company of prophets have just come to me. Please give them and talent of silver and two sets of clothing.' "
Naaman was delighted, and gave him what he asked for. Gehazi hid them in his house and then went to Elisha. Elisha asked, "Where have you been?"
"I didn't go anywhere."
But Elisha knew. And he cursed Gehazi and his descendants with leprosy forever. And Gehazi left Elisha.

No comments: