Thursday, August 14, 2008

2 Kings 4

From all appearances, Elisha has received a double portion of Elijah's spirit!!! He's been working all kinds of miracles.
The wife of a prophet who had died came to him and said, "Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves."
Elisha asked, "What do you have in your house?"
She said, "Your servant has nothing at all except a little oil." If he was asking me what I had in my house, I wouldn't think to say "oil", but that's just me:P
Elisha told her to go borrow lots of jars from all her neighbors - and not just a few. Then to fill them with oil. She was a prophet's wife for sure - she went without question.
I think it would be quite awkward to go around asking my neighbors for NOT JUST A FEW jars.
"Hi, can I borrow your mason jars?"
"Why sure. How many do you need?"
"Alot. Not just a few."
"Uh, ok."
After that probably less than pleasant part was over, her two boys handed her the jars one by one and she filled them with oil that miraculously flowed. Elisha told her to sell them and pay their debts.
Elisha brought a boy to life and fed a hundred men in this chapter, and also did something I think is kinda funny. Well, at least this part is funny. Goes like this:
There was a famine in Gilgal and the prophets were having a meeting. Elisha told them to make some stew. One guy went out into the woods and found a wild vine. He took it and cut it up in the stew - and this part is funny - THOUGH NO ONE KNEW WHAT IT WAS. Let this be a lesson - DON'T EAT IT IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because as soon as they started eating, they screeched, "There's death in the pot!!!!!!!!!!"
Fortunately Elisha knew what to do about death in pots. Just kidding, it was all God. He added some flour to it and it was safe to eat. Moral of the story: God is all-powerful and don't eat things that probably aren't supposed to be eaten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unless you add flour..then apparently you can eat anything.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah!:P