Wednesday, August 6, 2008

1 Kings 22

Today was a interesting day in Kings!!! Ahab talked with Jehoshaphat the king of Judah (a good guy) and the two decided to go take Ramoth Gilead. But Jehoshaphat said, "First seek the council of the LORD." So Ahab shrugged and asked 400 prophets if they should go. The prophets all said, Go, for the Lord will give it into the king's hand."
In my Bible, when they are talking about the one true God, they use the name "LORD" in all caps. When the prophets said this, it said, "Lord" just like that. I looked in a different Bible, to see if maybe it was some sort of typo in my copy. But it was the same. Interesting I thought! What's even more interesting is that, looking around at all 400 of these prophets, Jehoshaphat said, "Is there not a prophet of the LORD here, whom we can inquire of?" And he said "LORD" with all caps. There is a difference!
Ahab replied, There is still one man through we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah."
"The king should not say that!" Jehoshaphat said, and called for Micaiah. But all these other prophets were still prophesying. One called Zedekiah made iron horns and declared, "This is what the LORD says: 'With these you will gore the Arameans until they are destroyed.'" Everybody else was saying the same thing. The messenger who was bringing Micaiah said to him, "Look, as one man the other prophets are predicting success for the king. Let your word agree with theirs and speak favorably." When he got there, Ahab said, "Shall we go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"
Micaiah said, "I saw all Israel scattered on the hills like sheep without a shepherd, and the LORD said, 'These people have no master. Let each one go home in peace.' " If I were king, I'd see that as a pretty juicy insult. And Ahab did, because he rolled his eyes and said to Jehoshaphat, "Didn't I tell you that he never prophesies anything good about me, but only bad?"
Micaiah continued, "I saw the LORD sitting on his throne with all the host of heaven standing around him on his right and on his left. And the LORD said, 'Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?'
"One suggested this, and another that. Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the LORD and said, 'I will entice him.'
" 'By what means?' the LORD asked.
" 'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said.
" 'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the LORD. 'Go and do it.'
"So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
The Zedekiah, the loudest one that had predicted success, slapped Micaiah and said, "Which way did the spirit from the LORD go when he went from me to speak to you?" That sounds like a jeer.
Micaiah said, "You will find out on the day you go to hide in an inner room." Whoa. I'll keep you updated on THAT one!!!!
Micaiah was thrown in prison, and Ahab rode out to war. I would've played it safe I think. Because guess what? God was right. Somebody randomly shot and arrow and killed Ahab. And the dogs licked up his blood, just like God had said.

No comments: