Thursday, August 7, 2008

2 Kings 1-2

Say hello to 2 Kings! Elijah and his apprentice Elisha were walking along and they stopped at 3 different places. At each one, a group of prophets said to Elisha, "do you know the the LORD is going to take your master from you today?"
He replied, "Yes, I know, but do not speak of it."
At the last stop, Jericho, 50 prophets stood and watched the two "Eli"s from afar. Elijah took off his cloak and smacked the Jordan river with it and it split in two. When I read this this time, it clicked that this was the same place that Israel had crossed the Jordan when they entered the promised land - and in the same way. Elijah asked Elisha, "What can I do for you before I am taken from you?"
"Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.
"You have asked a difficult thing," Elijah said, "yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours - otherwise not."
I wonder if Elijah knew how he was going to "be taken". I wonder if God told him. I wonder if he was waiting to just die, like Moses did when God told him he would be taken. But he didn't die - God sent his express chariot to pick him up and take him to heaven in a whirlwind! Wouldn't it be cool to go that way?

No comments: