Friday, February 26, 2010

Who Will You Be?

What do you want people to think when they think of you?
Will they think of the shabby stinky one who doesn't really care about them or what they're talking about? The lazy one with no aspiration?

Yesterday at the science fair I saw a kid that I'd seen only a couple of times before. He's somewhere in the 13-15 age group I think. Nothing special about him just by looking at him--average height, average weight, jeans and a mountain dew tee shirt...pretty normal kid. I didn't give him a second thought. Well, I was holding Bird's hand by Lane and Moose's display, and this kid holds out a bowl of popcorn to the Bird (part of his own display). "You want some popcorn?" he asks the Bird in a friendly sort of way. She had a bite and smiled all sweet and stuff, and he grinned and put the bowl back. I kinda tend to like people who are nice to my littles, so now this kid was now not just a kid--he was a nice kid.
But he was not done being a nice kid after that! I was in charge of lunch and drinks for everybody, and many of the kids would mutter, "ummmm....root beer please" when I asked them a question. But this guy came away from his display board a couple of times to the lunch room to help I assume his little sister get some pizza. He looked me in the eye and was nice and loud with his drink choice and said thank you. He and some other kids helped us clean up chairs afterward and I heard him call my Bird by her NAME. He must have heard one of us say it or something and remembered it. I was pretty impressed and I mentioned it in the car. J-dude said, "Oh, the kid with the green shirt? Yeah, he was nice, he helped me with my drink. The juice jug was REALLY full, so he poured it for me." K, so NOW I really like this kid, right? He presented himself very impressively and gave me reason to think well of him when I didn't even know him. That's the kind of impression I'm after when I'm with people--even if I don't know them!

But there's more to being impressive than just how you appear. It's also what you think about. What your dreams are. I've met boys who didn't really care about what they were going to be when they grew up, even if grown-updom was knocking at the door. They didn't have anything they cared about doing, and weren't even after any money really. No drive or hardworkingness. Girls do the same thing. Even if you are a girl who is not career-minded at all or doesn't need money, if you're not practicing to be a wife and mom one day than you are wasting your living time.

We are supposed to be people who accomplish things and do good to others in our occupations, as a witness to Christ. Let's be alert and think about such things!

Come to the talent show tonight, one and all! :D

No comments: