Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Real Pastor

Anybody ever had a pastor? Probably. But do you have one that goes beyond Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights, who prays for you specifically and makes sure to check up on your life periodically? Maybe. But do you have one that still continues to be your pastor and do those things AFTER you've moved sixteen hours away and have another church and are technically under another pastor? Eh, no. You sure don't. That would just be ME.

Who knew when we walked into AHBC that it would mean this grand new thing called a pastor would happen? I'd had...I guess three real churches I remember clearly. I had enjoyed them all! The pastors were friendly and one in particular was a downright amazing teacher. I didn't really know any of them as a person, however. I didn't really know that it was possible to be able to go to one of them after the service and talk about what parts of the sermon eluded me or even how school was treating me or why the Colts were going to beat the Chargers. But in Alameda Hills, that is very possible. I'm not even sure how it happened that I was able to tell this pastor everything these things that God was doing in my life. He just made it his business to know what was up. I learned that even the things that were close to me that I wasn't that comfortable talking about were ok to communicate. After all, if he didn't know things how could he help or give ideas? Kinda like my mom and dad--they purty much know everything and sometimes it's good just that they know, and not even have any way to fix it at all. To an extent, it's the same deal with my pastor. I soon warmed up to sharing life's weirdities and hearing his always good input. He's always good for some teaching, advising, encouraging, correcting, and just to poke some fun.

I think this is what God meant the pastor of a church to be. Jesus did the same thing. He spent an awful lot of time talking to people. He was a teacher, a healer, a friend, a brother, all kinds of things. He talked to the people who didn't matter--Samaritan women, beggars, demon-possesed outcasts, and even lepers. In the same way, a good pastor is not just a teacher, but someone who takes an interest in the people of his congregation and is there for them if they need somebody. All that to say, I have a pastor like that. I can keep up with his teaching online, he emails little tidbits that make me smile, and he calls me when he suspects trouble, all in his work for Christ. I thank the LORD for pastors like that, and especially mine. Love you Les!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Meggy. You are family (as is your family...).

I love you too.

Les