Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Weird Stages

Fencing, for example. I just got done with the beginner classes where I actually attended every class, and hence was better than everyone else. But there is no intermediate class - next you get dumped in with everybody who fences in all the tournaments and such. So last night I was basically in shock - the only new kid, a bunch of drills I didn't know, working 10 times as hard as before. Getting stomped by all the awesome fencers was weird, especially since I couldn't even see what they were doing... there was just a horrid "BEEEEEP!!!" The instructors kept telling me that every fencer goes through it - where everybody's better than you and you have no idea what's going on. But it's a weird place to be.


Also I had a friend tell me she's in a weird stage in church. She just got too old for the youth group, but she still wants to be in it. There's no intermediate for that either - you're in with the kids or you're in with the grown-ups and that's it.


I'm in another rather curious stage in school - I'm done with my high school credits, so I'm technically graduated. I'm doing college prep, but I'm not in college. It's not any trouble, but it is hard to explain.


Not that I'm sure what the point of saying all that was. I guess I just never thought about any of it before, and now I'm wondering how to get past awkward or inconvenient places.

No comments: