Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Was blind but now I see

Jesus and his disciples were walking along, and saw a blind beggar. The disciples asked Jesus, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."


I find it cool how this man was born blind just so Jesus could show his glory. Neat how God works this stuff out. Anyhow, back to it.


Jesus made some mud and put it on the blind man's eyes. He told him to go wash in the pool of Siloam. I would've been confused - this guy puts mud on you and then tells you to go wash it off. Oh well - that pool must be as good as any other, he supposed. So the man went and washed - and came home seeing.
Various people saw him walking around and whispered to each other, "hey, isn't that the blind guy that we saw begging every day?"
"Nah, it only kinda looks like him." said another.
But the man heard and said, "I am the man!"
"Well then how are you seeing?"
"The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see."
The people locked eyes in astonishment. "Where is he now?"
The man looked around. "Um... I don't know."
Well, this day happened to be the Sabbath, so the people told the Pharisees about what had happened. They brought the man in for questioning and asked him how he had received his sight. "He put mud on my eyes," the man replied, "and I washed, and now I see." Some of the Pharisees said, "This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath."
"But how can a mere sinner do such miraculous signs?" They argued back and forth until one of them said, "Well first lets make sure this is the same blind guy we think it is."
So they called the man's parents and asked, "Is this your son? Is this the one you say was born blind? How is it that now he can see?"
"We know he is our son," the parents answered, "and we know he was born blind. But how he can see now, or who opened his eyes, we don't know. Ask him. He is of age; he will speak for himself." His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews, for already the Jews had decided that anyone who acknowledged that Jesus was the Christ would be put out of the synagogue.
A second time they summoned the man who had been blind. "Give glory to God," they said. This was a solemn charge to tell the truth in those days. "We know this man is a sinner."
He replied, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!"
The Parisees pointed fingers. "You are this fellow's disciple! But we are disciples of Moses! We know that God spoke to Moses, but as for this fellow, we don't even know where he comes from."
Here's my favorite part - the man answered, "Now that is remarkable! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will. Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing."
And he was expelled from the synagogue.



Jesus sought the man out after that when he heard that he'd been expelled, and asked him, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?"
"Who is he, sir?" the man asked. "Tell me so that I may believe in him."
Jesus said, "You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you."
Then the man realized that this was the one who had healed him. "Lord, I believe," he said, and he worshiped him.
Jesus said, "For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."
Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What? Are we blind too?"
Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."

No comments: