Thursday, March 5, 2009

Why didn't I know that?

Turns out, Enoch wrote a book! You know - the guy that walked with God until God took him up to heaven? It didn't make the cut into the Bible, but I found this out because I was doing some research on the Nephilim. There was a verse right before the flood story starts that goes...

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown."


"And also afterward"? AFTER the flood? Obviously so, because Moses's spies saw them in Canaan, and we all know about Goliath. "So how did THEY survive?" I'm thinking.


Apparently Enoch knows quite a bit about them. And the spirit realm in general from what I understand. I'm going to get his book at the library, but I saw a blurb that says that God allowed some of the Nephilim to remain on the earth as spirits to tempt men into wrongdoing. It made me make a Homsar-esque "Nyaa-aa-aaa-aaaaAAH!" noise in creep-outedness.


So, I am going to read up on these guys because I find it quite curious. And if I can figure something out, perhaps I could express it in a story! That's the best way:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meggy,

I was on your Dad's page, and since he had mentioned something you had blogged about recently, I checked it out.

Wow. From just glancing over the last several blogs, you have covered a lot of territory. Good job.

On the book of Enoch (I assume that is what you were talking about). Be aware that just because there is a book that bears his name, does not mean that he wrote it, or had anything to do with it. Few Evangelical scholars believe that he had anything to do with it, believing it was written far later, perhaps even after the time of Christ.

Some people believe that the book is quoted in the New Testament (I think Jude. However, again, I have not found a scholar I trust who believes this to be true (though I have not studied the topic directly).

There are so many extra-biblical books out there, claiming certain authorship, that nearly every credible scholar rejects. However, in the non-scholarly secular world, there is a growing emphasis put on these books, usually in the context of a conspiracy about the Bible.

Nothing wrong with reading this stuff, but I recommend being VERY CAREFUL about what weight you give it, especially when studying a topic like you have approached here. I think the odds are essentially non-existent that Enoch had anything to do with the book, or that it is even from his generation. For what it's worth.

Oh yes, the Nephilim. Fun topic to ponder. Not sure what you read in the book of Enoch will do more than confuse the issue, as we can't judge the reliability of it to ANY degree. However, it is not like the Bible decided to make the topic clear. You might look at some commentaries about those passages in the Bible and see where the best commentators land. It would be fun, if nothing else.

I'm interested in what you end up with.

Great posts.

Les