Monday, March 2, 2009

Bummy

Lately I've been bummed about... stuff.
There are the little bummy things, like I ordered my fencing mask early last week and I need it tonight and it STILL isn't here.
The writing field is always more iffy than our economy, and can be quite an annoying realm.
I'm thinking a lot about a new Saturday night service we're starting up at our church, and there are so many particulars, so many things we need, so many things we don't have, so many things to get, so many people to get approval from, not enough money, and the overwhelming problem that nobody shows up at all.
There's things I want to start spending money on soon and I don't have money.
There's stuff I'm not good at that needs getting good at.
There's always things about myself that need fixing, and some things that some find annoying can't be helped.
Stuff like that.


But I read in Philippians 3 & 4 today, and we all know the verses that talk about forgetting what is behind and pushing ahead to win the prize. I noticed those verses don't sound at all like Paul was bummed or worried about maybe NOT winning, or how to jump over that log in front. He's thinking about the prize, and when you're thinking about the prize, you're thinking about a good thing, and you're excited about it. Then just a little bit later it says "Rejoice in the LORD always" and "Do not be anxious about anything, but present your requests to God". Well, there are a lot of requests to make, but for some reason I don't think they are possible, so I guess that's why I get bummed. For most of the things I'm bummed about listed above, "the prize" requires divine intervention. So I'm presenting the requests all right, but the waiting for the divine intervention is the bummable part. It's like, "We've done stuff like this before, and WE definitely can't do it." God's the one that's got to do it, and I guess I'm thinking it's on the bottom of his to-do list. Hard to see or think about all the good things when God's yet to do them.

No comments: