Thursday, February 19, 2009

Where'd all the KNIGHTS go?

Yesterday I took my sword and knighted Mayf and Jess as Knights of the Oval Table, since they're in charge of cleaning it off. They thought is was VERRRY cool, and sauntered downstairs to quiet time like they were something great. Not two minutes later I heard Bird yelp and peeked down the stairs. "Mayf, what did you do?"


Mayf grinned and pointed at the flustered Bird on the floor. "I tackled her!"


"What? Mayf, knights are supposed to always protect the girls! You have to beat up the guys that tackle them!"


Mayf's eyebrows shot up. "OoOoOoOoOoOooooh... ok!"


What with this incident and a book I'm reading with the girls that has this wonderful knight in it, I started wondering... where'd all the knights go? Made me think of this kind of funny poem...


The days of Chivalry are dead,
Of which in stories I have read,
When knights were bold and acted kind of scrappy;
They used to take a lot of pains
And fight all day to please the Janes,
And if their dame was tickled they was happy.
But now the men are mild and meek:
They seem to have a yellow streak:
They never lay for other guys, to flatten 'em:
They think they've done a darned fine thing
If they just buy the girl a ring
Of imitation diamonds and platinum.
Funny, but sorta true! I miss the knights. I hope there's still one out there somewheres...


No comments: