Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hannah

It is a popular name, but what else? She was one of the two wives of Elkanah - and had no children. The other wife did, and was proud of it. She teased Hannah all the time - not a nice atmosphere for Elkanah I guess, two wives fighting all the time. But Hannah wanted children very bad, and once at the temple, she got teased by the other wife so much she started crying and did not eat any dinner, even though Elkanah gave her a double portion of food because he loved her better.
She went to pray to the LORD, and said, "O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head." (Spoiler alert:P - we don't often think of Samuel as a shaggy character huh?:P)
She was praying silently, but her lips were moving. Eli the priest sitting nearby, thought she was drunk and said, "How long will you keep on getting drunk? Get rid of your wine."
"Huh? Wha-" Hannah must have looked behind her a couple times before she realized he was talking to her. "Not so, my lord," Hannah replied, "I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the LORD. Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief."
Eli replied, "Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him." Now Hannah felt better, and she went to eat.
A guess what? God gave her a son that she named Samuel. And as soon as he was weaned, she kept her promise and took him to the temple. I would have said, "Well, heheh. I'm sure God wouldn't really mind if I kept him until he's, like, 19. Then he can go to the temple." But she was faithful to her word. And as a reward, God gave her more children. This is a good lesson about keeping promises - not just asking the LORD for what you want.

No comments: