Sunday, September 14, 2008

Psalm 22

And now, a post that has been 2 days in the making. This chapter always makes me stop and think every time. It's a Psalm of David... but sounds like it could have a different author. Here's what I'm talking about. The Psalm is italic, the gospel verse is bold.


"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?"



"About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' "


"All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
'He trusts in the LORD;
let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him.' "


"In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. 'He saved others,' they said, 'but he can't save himself! He's the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.' "



"I can count all my bones;
people stare and gloat over me.
They divide my garments among them
and cast lots for my clothing."


"When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom. 'Let's not tear it,' they said to one another. 'Let's decide by lot who will get it.' This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled which said, 'They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.' So this is what the soldiers did."



These are just a few of the connections! It makes you think more about David. He was a man after God's own heart. Did he know what he was saying when he wrote this song, or was he just despairing and only God knew who would later come? Either way, the way the Bible fulfills the prophecies in itself is amazing!

No comments: