Sunday, September 28, 2008

Evangelism

I've been thinking a lot on the subject of evangelism. We know what it means, but in the dictionary it's described as "missionary zeal, purpose, or activity". We know some good ones that do seminars and such. But how can we do it? What is it? Sharing Christ with others, of course, but how is it generally done? Most of the evangelists I know of are very smart people, in brain and in the gospel. They know Jesus's response to a lot of problems, and know all the right verses. Of course, I'm learning. But it got me to thinking... then I read these verses in 1 Corinthians:


1 Corinthians 1:17-18
"For Christ did not send me to baptise, but to preach the gospel— not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

I am reminded of a great line in FIREPROOF... "The cross was offensive to me too - until I came to it."

1 Corinthians 2:4-5
"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power,
so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."


Wait, NOT with wise and persuasive words? Well, that's good for me - I can't use those kind very well. But what is a demonstration of the Spirit's power? Turn the water to blood? I don't think so. I could be wrong, but the way I see it is that I AM a demonstration of the Spirit's power. After all, if I didn't have the spirit, I wouldn't be the way I am today. So if I show people the light in me, they will see it and want what I have. Hence, another FIREPROOF line: "Something's changed in you. And I want what happened to you to happen to me."

I do NOT think that came out right.

No comments: