Monday, May 11, 2009

Gad

Who is Gad?
Not Jacob's son Gad, this Gad is David's seer. I guess he shares time with Nathan, but Gad doesn't get a lot of attention. But this part of him really grabbed my attention today.
We all know the story of when David counted his fighting men and sinned against God by not trusting him wholeheartedly. Gad was the one who gave David the three options of punishment from God - 3 years of famine, 3 months of being driven away by enemies, or 3 days of plague. David chose to fall into the hands of God, so God sent an angel to destroy Israel with the plague. But when he got to Jerusalem, God stopped him. David saw the angel there with it's sword raised and said, David said to God, "Was it not I who ordered the fighting men to be counted? I am the one who has sinned and done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? O LORD my God, let your hand fall upon me and my family, but do not let this plague remain on your people."


Then that same angel went to Gad and told him to tell David to build an altar of sacrifice. I started to keep reading, then I gave this part a double take. So the angel is flying between heaven and earth with a sword killing people, then he goes off to find Gad and give him a message! Just imagine that - pretty scary I think! But it kinda hit me again what the prophet was in those days - he was God's means of communication!


So that wasn't very deep but I hope you found as way cool as I did:)

No comments: